Sierra Club Prairie - Executive Director
Sierra Club of Canada - Prairie Chapter is an environmental nonprofit organization with a mission to create a diverse, well trained grassroots network to protect and uphold the health and integrity of our prairie communities and ecosystems. We are seeking a dynamic leader to continue a transition process aimed at entrenching an environmental justice and anti-oppression policy, enhancing organizational sustainability and fundraising, and supporting front-line staff in community organizing and campaigning.
For more information about Sierra Club Prairie , you are welcome to visit our website at www.prairie.sierraclub.ca
· You will be responsible for fund-raising and managing an annual budget of a quarter of a million dollars.
· You will report to a local Executive Committee and a National Board of Directors
· You will be responsible for the comprehensive leadership and management of the Sierra Club Prairie
Sierra Club Prairie's Executive Director is responsible for the professional leadership and management of our organization. The Executive Director provides overall leadership for Sierra Club Prairie to fulfill its mission and achieve its planning and financial objectives. The Executive Director works with Sierra Club Prairie's executive committee, staff and volunteers to guide the development of a strong organizational infrastructure that will continue to support Sierra Club Prairie in pursuit of its long-term vision.
The Executive Director is a highly motivated individual committed to both professional and personal environmental justice and stewardship. The position requires outstanding skills in office organization and management, analytic and strategic thinking, superior communication skills, and is adept at building positive relationships with people from diverse cultures and experiences. The Executive Director excels at priority setting while managing competing demands in a dynamic workplace.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
· Work in conjunction with the input of executive committee, staff and volunteers to provide annual work plan;
· Work in conjunction with the input of executive committee to hire and coordinate staff to ensure annual work plan deliverables are met.
· Work in conjunction with the input of executive committee, staff and volunteers to provinde comprehensive leadership and support for the overall work of the organization;
· Implement anti-oppression policies and procedures to encourage an exceptional workplace environment;
· Prepare, execute and monitor Sierra Club Prairie's annual organizational budget;
· Implement and manage Sierra Club Prairie's fundraising plan, including raising revenue through grants and membership dues to meet Sierra Club Prairie's annual financial targets;
. Hiring and supporting of staff to meet workplan deliverables.
· Coordinate, integrate and provide input to the executive committee on activities that support day-to-day operations
· Communicate Sierra Club Prairie's mandate and campaign messages to key stakeholders, funders and the wider community;
· Reports to the executive committee on all aspects of Sierra Club Prairie's operations.
· Experience in environmental justice education and advocacy work.
· Existing relationships with prairie activists and community members.
· Experience in non-profit leadership/management role
· Experience in staff management and working with an Executive Committee
· Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills
· Business planning skills and expertise with budget development and control
· Demonstrated success in fundraising through writing grant proposals and/or obtaining personal and corporate sponsorships
· Knowledge of key environmental issues in the Prairies and a demonstrated commitment to environmental justice and action
· Excellent computing, interpersonal and communication skills
· Experience leading a social enterprise an asset
To be considered for this position, we ask that you submit your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations to: email@example.com. Please note that the Executive Director will be required to work from the office headquarters in Edmonton, Alberta.
** The deadline for applications is January 16th at 12:00 p.m. M.T.
We will be contacting selected applicants by telephone or email for further information. Please note that we appreciate your interest but we will be unable to contact all applicants individually.